The Ecumenical Catholic Church of the United Kingdom is an independent, inclusive and contemporary church with Catholic tradition.
We seek to take the gospel and holy sacraments to all people and do not discriminate on any basis. As Christ accepted all, so do we. Our clergy are valid and recognised as such by Rome even though Rome remains separate from the great majority of non-Roman Churches.
We are not part of the Roman Catholic Church and are in a similar position to many churches who, although fully valid and Catholic, are not presently in communion with Rome.
We are a contemporary, constituent body of Christ’s faithful. We are a member church of The One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. While our orders come from the See of St. Peter (The Roman Catholic Church), we are not restricted to using the Novus Ordo (Paul VI version) or common Roman liturgical Rite, our main liturgical expression is the New Sarum Liturgy which has been developed for our use, we also use the BCP (Book of Common Prayer), English Missal and other Rites depending on local needs.
Our church is a welcoming worship community and we do not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital or social status, race, economic ability, orientation or other baseless forms of discrimination.
We welcome all to the Altar of Christ and refuse communion to no person who seeks it reverently.
Christ did not refuse to feed the physically or spiritually hungry - neither do we.
We seek to be, and are called to be, a community expressing new ways of being Catholic.
All over the world there are both large and small groups, seeking new expressions of catholic faith . . .
- To welcome and embrace all people.
- To see God in all people
- To meet God in the present moment
- To open the path to God for all, free from choking tradition, ritualism, law or any other form of control.
- To value spirituality; and to recognise God’s grace at work in people of all faiths and none
- To welcome all to the sacramental life of the church.
- To serve the needs of others
- To balance the spirit of the law and the letter of the law.
- To be a living expression of prayerful relationship with God.
- To have an all-embracing outlook and to
- recognise the value of diversity.
- To value each person.
- To recognise our reliance upon God’s mercy.
We are a contemporary church that believes the Holy Spirit helps us to grow spiritually as and when we are able. Just as Christ was revealed to us when we were ready to receive him, so too many other things and understandings have been revealed to us when we were ready to receive them.